Monday 22 October 2012

Missing Eddy

This is the time of year that I begin to crave Paris. One problem with going away is that I inevitably miss my dog. And it doesn't help that Paris is such a dog friendly city. At some point, I always wonder if I should've brought Eddy along. I picture myself strolling along the Boulevard Ste. Germain with Eddy by my side, stopping off in my favourite cafe. But Eddy's a terrible traveller. It's an ordeal just to get him in a car. I took him once on a plane, when he was still small enough to fit under the seat and I vowed never again. The tranquilizer acted like caffeine and five hours was simply too long for him to go without a pee. (I brought him to the bathroom with me and, padding the floor with paper towels, let him go there.) And he just wasn't happy away from home.
So I make due with talking to other people's dogs. I try not to think of Eddy romping in the garden of my hotel as I linger over a glass of wine. Or cuddling up to his dogsitter at home. I used to call home, ostensibly to say hi to my parents but they knew I was really checking in on Eddy. I remind myself of the advantages of being temporarily dog-free--I can stay out all day without worrying about getting home so he can pee. All night too, for that matter.
I actually do get impatient with the number of dogs in the city. It's only recently that Parisians have started picking up after their pets and my earlier trips always involved wiping my shoes on the piece of rolled up carpet in the water swept gutter. It's impossible to ask a Parisian to move his dog that's stretched out the length of three cafe tables and many of the shops have canines guarding the doorway. Like back home, I always have cookies in my pocket--paying attention to a pet brings out a Parisian's soft side and sometimes, an unexpected discount.
I also find myself lingering in pet stores. There's a whole slew lining the right bank of the Seine when you cross over at the Pont St. Michel. (Unfortunately the number of caged chickens makes me suspect that some of these are  more for fresh produce than pets.)
When I return, it's a quick kiss before Eddy runs to my suitcase and begins nosing for presents. Yes, all of his collars come from Paris and I make a special trip to  Cours St. Emilion for these Vitakraft chew treats you can't get anywhere else.
It's amazing how quick he forgets that I've gone.




Cour Saint Emilion is one reason to take the new metro line. Yes, it is a little sterile and prepackaged, like the village at Mont Tremblant, but it does have some sweet shops. 
La Cure Gourmande Biscuiterie Confiserie has all the cookies your heart desires. Fortunately, they're so expensive, you won't have to worry about breaking your diet.
Animalis is a shop with everything you could want for a pet languishing at home. I've bought stuffed animals, leashes and collars and all kinds of treats for a very finicky little dog.
Finac Junior has a great selection of traditional wood toys and Zamiloo figurines, including shops and cars.  There are also picture books and a smattering of trendy toys you won't find anywhere but in Paris.
Le Jardin d'Olaria is the lovely housewares and gift shop pictured at the top of this post. Located at 5, rue Medicis, right near the Jardin du Luxembourg, it's one of my regular stops.   


  

No comments:

Post a Comment